lunes, 9 de febrero de 2015

In the land of Pisco... From Memory




A submission from a good Salvadoran friend. 

Thanks Pablo. 

Subject: Did you miss our April Bulletin?
From: Pablo Rubianes
Date: Thurs, April 26, 2007, 11:57am
To: Editores@elpiscoesdelperu.com
Thanks and congratulations! I’m attaching a poem written by a Salvadoran who does know about Pisco…
Cheers!
Pablo

Lament of a Salvadoran
By Manuel E. Valladares (Salvadoran)

When I leave this world, as will every human,
I will leave with a sadness for not being Peruvian.

But I will leave without bitterness, spite I will have none,
Because I had the honor of knowing more than one.

I ask in my funeral, light more than one candle,
Sing for me “El Condor Pasa” and the “Flor de la Canela.”

When they bury me, I want it to be beautiful,
Cry “Los Morochucos” and sing for me “El Plebeyo.”


I will ask my family, despite my customs,
To take me out of New York, and bury me in Tumbes.

I will ask them for a favor, if they like what I have said,
That they honor me in Machu Picchu nine days after I am dead.

Have them bury me when the moon is shining,
And my dear friend Mauro Mina, my coffin will be carrying.

When Marurito is tired, give the carrying to the llamas
And follow them while singing the song “Los Chamas”

I want them to lay flowers every day at my tomb
Except for tears or sadness, not giving them room.

They will write on my stone, that my dream
Was not only to be Peruvian, but to be from Lima.

When I am laying in the tomb and my soul takes flight
I would prefer that a condor, not an angel, take me to the heights.

But if I go down below, to what I say, listen well
Very calmly and relaxed, I will tell the devil:

Get ready, curly-horned beast, get ready because you
Will sing strongly and loudly with me “Long live Peru!”

And if you don’t sing well, you apologize, you breathe fire,
You will respect, oh evil one, the Incan empire.
And now you will drink Pisco and Chicha at a bar,
And sing with me, “The cry of my guitar,”

It doesn’t matter where I go,
Whether up above or down below,

I will sing until I’m through,
Long Live Peru!

Translared by Katrina Heimark 


No hay comentarios: